Old February 18th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

"JJ" wrote

| there
| is also the issue that a given raw format might not be readable at some
| point in the future, whereas jpeg always will be.
|
| I find it difficult to believe that no software in the future will be able
| to read older image formats - no matter how hard the software developers
try
| to.

He doesn't grasp the concept. It's like saying
we won't have words in the future, but that
English will always exist. The truth is the other
way around, but he doesn't grasp file formats.

I was reading an article
yesterday postulating that programming has become
a very steep learning curve simply because the
usage of a computer is so abstracted. Someone
can be a successful photographer working with
digital images yet with no need to understand
what a file is, how the image is stored, or even
where their images are. Fire up Adobe rental-
ware, log into your online storage, sync your
phone, edit images from yesterday's wedding,
then send them to friends.... There's no need to
have even the barest concept of how that all
happened or "where" the photos are, much less
what they are.
And there are lots of valorizing terms to make
it sound technical: "I'm managing assets in my
workflow" sounds far more official than, "****,
where'd I put that file?"