Old February 18th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

In message , JJ
writes:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:35:36 -0500, nospam wrote:

In article , JJ
wrote:

This is designed to be simple, quick cropping and
resizing, while retaining the best possible image
quality when desired. (Crop a JPG and you'll
lose some quality,

not when it's a lossless or non-destructive crop.

That's true for lossless. But the cropping itself is always destructive.

no it isn't.

You misunderstood. If you crop an image to keep only the left side, the
right ride of the image will be gone. Meaning that the crop function itself
removes data. Whether there's an undo or redo functionality or not, that an
entire different function.

And you misunderstood our response. _Of course_ cropping discards
information - but it was information you didn't want! But also, when you
re-save a JPG image after doing anything to it, the lossy compression is
usually re-applied, meaning the information in the _remaining_ part of
the image is further degraded. Some of us were just pointing out that
there is available "lossless JPEG cropping". which achieves a crop
_without_ further degradation of the kept part of the image.

bmp is obsolete.

In a Mac OS, BMP isn't even the native image container. So, I would be
obvious that most, if not all of Mac softwares don't use BMP.

In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS. i.e.
used by the graphic kernel.

The information in the graphics RAM while a picture is on screen -
whatever the OS - is going to be raw image data, regardless of how it
was saved to or loaded from disc. (What _is_ the "native" format for
Macs then?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]