Old October 12th 17, 10:54 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
harry newton

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

He who is J. P. Gilliver (John) said on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:32:01 +0100:

What do you think prompted me to write the first paragraph above (-:?
(To which nospam's contribution is a worthy addition.)

I (think I) understood both yours and nospam's intent.

While nospam almost always (if not always) get the point wrong, I assume
you understood full well the power of Gvim but also the inherent
complexity.

Nospam has a huge bias for Apple products, where he *thinks* (erroneously)
that I have a bias against them - but I actually don't. I just *understand*
them for what they are, and more importantly, I understand that Apple isn't
in the business of making the best products - they're in the business of
making the most money off their customers - which they do very well.

As an avowed freeware and freedom junkie, Apple's business and technical
models are the antithesis of mine. However, I use Apple products in the
schools that I teach at, and I give Apple phones as gifts, and I've
jailbroken an Apple phone (as nospam knows) to install Cydia freeware,
etc., so I'm knowledgeable on Apple products to some extent (e.g., I know
far better what they can and cannot do than most iOS users seem to know, as
witnessed just today in this thread - where *all* the Apple apologists-
including nospam - were bamboozled such that they are too emotionally
attached to Apple to think logically).
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/Dhy-LFH3AwAJ

Back to gvim versus something else, gvim, to me, is like a wife whom I've
grown up with since childhood, who has enabled me to do things I wouldn't
have been able to do with any other text editor as quickly or as
efficiently.

You don't seem to appreciate the efficiency of vi, but I do.
It just means we place different values on different things.

It's almost like the classic arguments in society today, whether they be
gun control versus gun owners' rights or abortion control versus woman's
rights to their bodies or gay rights versus marriage contracts, etc.

Each side has a *completely* different argument, where there is zero
one-to-one lineup, where there is always a "childish" side of the argument
and a "more refined" side of the argument.

For example...

The childish side of the gun-control argument is that guns kill people so
if you got rid of guns, you'd have fewer dead people, whereas the more
refined side of the argument is that guns kill people and that's exactly
why the founding fathers put the right into the second amendment as a
fourth power against oppressive government.

The childish side of the abortion-rights argument is that abortions are
killing babies whereas the more refined side of the argument is that
abortions are killing babies but it's actually better for society and the
mother to kill the baby.

The childish side of the gay-rights argument is that homosexuals should be
allowed the same rights as heteronormal people while the more refined side
of the argument is that homosexuals should be allowed the same rights as
heteronormal people but that marriage is something that is so complex and
engrained in our society that changing the definition of marriage isn't as
simple as a bunch of wackos in California would like to think it is (and
yes, I live in California, in Silicon Valley, so I know plenty of wackos).

Suffice to say that the childish side *never* understands the more refined
side of the argument - while the refined side *always* understands the
childish side of the argument.

Such is how things work. In the case of the iOS apologists, they *never*
seem to understand the reality of the argument (nospam being a classic iOS
apologist) while the more refined argument takes into account the inherent
capabilities and costs of the issue in question.

It is my supposition that almost all, if not all, the Apple-versus-Windows
arguments, for example, are initiated, propagated, and perpetuated simply
by this propensity of the Apple owners to never see facts as they are,
while the more refined argument shows facts as they exist. Certainly this
thread today where the edited video was needed *proves* the closed
mindedness of the iOS apologists in spades.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/Dhy-LFH3AwAJ

As for gvim versus some other editor, I forget which is the editor you
propose. Was it Notepad++? Or was it something else?

If it was Notepad++, the lack of cross-platform capabilities is a killer
out of the box, where the childish side only sees the Windows performance
which the more refined side will grant, but the more refined side of the
argument sees so much more than just the Windows capabilities of a text
editor.

--
I realize this argument is philosophical so please understand that concept.