Old September 28th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Big Al

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data inthe MP4 video frame?

On 09/28/2017 10:03 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"harry newton" wrote

| What is the technical term for the cropping of video data like this?
| http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

You mean the black areas? That's painting.
Or pasting. Cropping is trimming the image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(image)

If you want to paint in each frame that might
be a challenge. A good editor will do things
like crop and resize, sharpness, color adjustment,
etc. But painting specific items would of course
require a separate operation for each frame. In
theory you could have a video where you want the
exact same area of each frame painted black, but
I'd be surprised if any editor provides that functionality.
It would require adding drawing tools to the software
for functionality that would rarely, if ever, be used.

I did a lot of editing years ago with a paid version (yes I know, the OP
wanted free, but..) of Magix Movie Maker in Win7 or 8(?). It allowed
multiple video layers (as well as audio). It had no ability to edit
the video as you want, but I would think you might be able to make a
transparent PNG image of a black rectangle(s) and put it in a 2nd video
track or overlay or whatever the programs term is. It would be an
engineering feat to get the black spots to fit in one PNG but...

I've used Avidemux lately but only to convert formats, trim and
brightness levels.
HTH, al