Old September 28th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
harry newton

Default What's a good free Windows video editor that crops out data in the MP4 video frame?

He who is Mayayana said on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:46:20 -0400:

So you want someone else to do all that testing for you?

C'mon Mayayana.

What you're saying is, in effect, "I know the answer but I won't tell you",
since it was *extremely clear* I was asking for someone who has already
expended the effort to perform the task to just let me know what the answer
is.

The only effort I'm asking is *obviously* for someone who has done the task
already, and who has found the software already, to tell me what he found
is the best.

Just as if you asked me what's the most reliable free FTP server for
Android, I'd tell you it's "FTP Server (Free)" and if you asked what's the
most reliable FTP client for Windows I'd tell you it's "FileZilla". How do
I know that? Because I've *already* done the reliability testing of tons of
software for that purpose.

If you ask a question where I don't know the answer, I don't answer; but if
you ask a question where I have *already* done the testing, then the only
effort that is needed to be expended is to explain the answer.

I've used Avidemux after trying some other things,
including Windows Movie Maker. I was very impressed.

I've used FFMPEG-based editors for years on Linux & Windows for the
simplest of things like cropping the timeline of a video and I've bought
and installed Pinnacle Studios something like ten years ago and still have
the boxed software somewhere - but that's *overkill* for what I want to do
as a one-time task, which is block out the areas shown below in this still
screenshot in an MP4 video from Android:
http://i64.tinypic.com/27xi5hf.jpg

To me it's like a graphic editor for video.

If I have to dig into the attic to find and unbox my Pinnacle Studios
software, I will - but I already know that's tremendous overkill for what I
want to do - but it will probably do the job - but it might not handle
modern file formats since it was last used on Windows XP years ago.

But I'm not
an expert and I haven't tested all of the other 30 items
on your list, so I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Freeware isn't free.

The cost of freeware is knowledge.

The knowledge is gained at the expense of time & effort.

I'll find the answer, and do the task, somehow ... but I was hoping that
this ng had at least one person who has already edited video in the way
that I need, using Windows freeware.

If that person doesn't exist - then this thread will be thankfully very
short as I respond to every serious query ... where all I want is the
answer to the question:

Q: What's a good windows freeware video ed that redacts screen portions?