Old March 6th 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

Default Nikon did it again, increasing the price of replacement lensby $1000

On 3/5/2013 9:08 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Rob wrote:
The new 80-400mm costs $2700. [...]

Just looked and I would not buy one at that price.

If you don't need a lens like that, the price makes
little difference.

The 70-300 is quarter the price. Half the weight 745gms/1570 gms

If that lens is satisfactory, then you have no need at
all for the new 80-400mm lens. But the 70-300mm is not
equal to the older 80-400mm AF-D lens, and is no where
near the same as the new lens.

Here are the specification pages for each:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...g_if/index.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...-56d/index.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...d_vr/index.htm

Here are the MTF charts for maximum focal length at maximum aperture for each:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...if/pic_003.gif
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...6d/pic_003.gif
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens...vr/pic_003.png

Some data points from those MTF charts tp show the significance:

S30 M30
70-300mm G @ 10mm 0.72 0.55
80-400mm D @ 10mm 0.72 0.52
80-400mm G @ 10mm 0.81 0.81

70-300mm G @ 15mm 0.74 0.55
80-400mm D @ 15mm 0.80 0.47
80-400mm G @ 15mm 0.73 0.74

70-300mm G @ 20mm 0.69 0.43
80-400mm D @ 20mm 0.80 0.47
80-400mm G @ 20mm 0.65 0.67

Clearly for a DX camera body the new lens is *vastly*
sharper at 10mm from the center of an image that is
24mm across. It is apparently significantly sharper at
15mm from the center too. Compared to the older AF-D
version the new lens does not exhibit the same
astigmatism (that is also present in the 70-300mm to a
lesser degree).

Given the faster focusing speed expected from AF-S
compared to the older AF-D version, plus the second
generation VR, this lens looks like a real winner. The
70-300mm of course doesn't do well with a 1.4x TC, so
there is no real comparison at all if 400mm is needed.
On top of that, it does appear that the new lens will
probably work very well with a 1.4x TC on newer Nikon
bodies that can AF at f/8, and be much sharper than the
older AF-D with a TC.

Hence, while any given photographer may not find this
lens useful at that price, there is little doubt that
many wildlife and bird photographers are going to snap
these up in a heartbeat.

I agree with much of what you say, but:
my 80-499 focuses a lot faster on my D800 than on the D300, but only if
I use center focus. My Nikon TC extenders will not fit because of the
protrusion of the rear element. It does fit on the Kenko 1.4, but the
image is horribly soft.
I have no reservations about trying the new 80-400. but only if it will
work with a 1.4 extender, as I would like a 500mm.

--
PeterN