Old September 29th 03, 11:18 PM
David Foy

Default Kodak shifts focus (WSJ article)

I suspect this means the end of R&D in the film department at Kodak. They
ended R&D into black and white something like 15-20 years ago. Slide film
hasn't had any significant work recently, nor has microfilm or x-ray, if the
patent literature is any guide. Nuclear, holographic, and other scientific
emulsions haven't been worked on in years. Special films for surveillance,
aerial imaging, etc. has been old wine in new bottles for some time. My
guess is work on improving C41 now halts.
David Foy

"parv" wrote in message
in message ,
wrote Phil Stripling ...

The Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com/) for September 25, 2003,

has a
page one article stating that Kodak is "yielding to technology changes

that
have made its signature product outdated." Kodak has issued a press

release
saying it will boost investment in nonphotographic areas and will launch

line of inkjet printers.

In a sentence which leaves some room for confusion, the WSJ reports,

"the
company says it will make no more significant long-term investments in
traditional consumer film," making mention of Advanced Photo System as

an
example.

I suppose APS film could be thought of as a ''result of significant
research & development to capture (and possibly hold on to) some
consumer market segments -- of that time, or would be future thought
of at the time -- which were not beholden to 35mm film format''.

Thus, i think, Washington Street Journal might be referring to
Kodak's efforts, or lack of, in developing new film technologies or
improving current ones. (Personally, I think there might be some
improvements, but not very drastic, simply as part of the
maintenance program.)

Well, that's my take anyway, at this time, of your post w/o reading
actual Kodak press release or the newspaper report mentioned.

HTH.

- parv

--
In order to reach me, do away w/ WhereElse in the address.