Old June 7th 14, 03:50 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

On 2014-06-07 13:42:53 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article , lid says...

In article , Silent Knight wrote:
I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of ...

I find it fascinating that this has (already) led to a thread of 75+
posts, most of which have nothing to do with the question being asked
and everything to do with the reason that the OP asked it.

Had the OP simply asked: "I have taken a photograph on my phone and
have unfortunately deleted it. Is there any way that I can get it back.
The phone is a Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 and the picture was saved
on the SD card. I use Ubuntu Linux." he would have had a handful or
relevant replies and that would have been that.

Because he went into all the irrelevant stuff about a "smog station"
and "inappropriate action" this has become a much larger thread and all
sorts of issues have been discussed.

I love that about usenet -- but it does show that you have to be
careful to ask the question you mean to ask if you hope to get a simple
answer (mine would be: "testdisk").

I'm British, and the phrase "bar referee smog station" meant absolutely
nothing to me ... I gather now that it's somewhere one has to take a
vehicle to have the engine emissions checked, but my first thought was
that the OP was talking about some sort of shelter outside a bar where
smokers could go to indulge their addiction.

Two nations divided by a common language, eh?

In this case one nation. I live in the US and had no idea what a "BAR
referee smog station" was--I envisioned an establishment for smoking
lawyers initially. Most places in the US just call it an "emissions
test station" and don't have special ones for "referees". This seems to
be something uniquely Californican.

Let's just call it a top heavy California bureaucracy. A commercial
automobile repair facility in this state ends up haveing to deal with
multiple agencies such as, the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR), the
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the California Occupational Safety
& Health Administration (CalOSHA) for starters. I have no doubt there
are others.

Savageduck