Old March 2nd 14, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

Default Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

On 2/26/2014 11:16 PM, Trevor wrote:
"John Turco" wrote in message
On 2/25/2014 4:02 PM, Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 25 Feb 2014 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, John Turco wrote:
Kodak was never a manufacturer of SLR bodies or lenses, naturally.

They did, from 1957 - 1967:
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_Retina_Reflex
A cousin had one. I was contemplating buying it from him when I was
looking for my first camera around 1973. (I wound up with an FTb.) Note
the rapid wind lever on the bottom of the body!

I don't consider any of the "Retina" models to be "true" Kodak cameras.
As the Web site you linked to explained, the Retina bodies and lenses
were made by "Kodak AG" (which was a German company and a subsidiary
of U.S.-based "Eastman Kodak").

Kodak AG was originally named "Nagel" and was bought by Kodak, in 1931.

Gee I'd consider 40 years ownership to be more than sufficient to claim it
as a Kodak product!

Hello, Trevor! Where have you been, these past several months?

You do understand how multi-national corporations work right?

Of course.

OTOH I don't consider rebadged products built by independent companies or
OEM suppliers as real products of the rebadged company though.
Where they are designed by the badge company and made under license by
independent companies, it's open to debate however.

Trevor.

That's the way I feel about the Retina. It is strictly a German item;
hence, it's a "Kodak" in name only.

John