Old May 24th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
jeremy

Default Buying digital cameras - basic vs high end camera

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message news:4655ba7b$0$962

None of which is to say that digital is the right move for you. If I knew
you and watched you work and saw the results I might have an opinion --
but your own opinion is the one that matters.

I am in no hurry to stop using my film gear. I'm an amateur, not a
professional, and I shoot for my own pleasure. Part of the pleasure of
photography, for me, is the tactile gratification that comes from using
older, heavier, mainly-metal, equipment.

I have a digital P&S, and I am not pleased with all of its automation,
especially autofocus. But I do carry it around for snapshots.

I just haven't been bitten by the fascination that many others have with
digital. I used to be an early adopter of new technology, but that phase
seems to have passed, and the Luddite in me has resurfaced.

At least I can say that I know what I want, and why I want it, rather than
following the apparent herd mentality and chucking all my classic gear and
replacing it with something new. I wonder how many people have gotten over
their initial fascination with digital, then put their cameras up on the
shelves and haven't bothered to use them in a long time? We never hear from
them, but I'll bet that they represent a significant percentage of
purchasers of digital cameras.

I was happy with film when I shot Kodachrome, and I'm happy today with
Velvia. In my case, there seems to be no compelling reason to change over.
The cost of film was never an issue for me--especially since it was always
spread over the entire year. Like buying cigarettes--taken singly the
purchases are small, taken in the aggregate the amount spent in a year is
daunting.