Old January 20th 04, 02:55 AM
zeitgeist

Default Posing a glamour model

Is there any good online guides to posing models for glamour?

I don't know about a site, but the Perrins used to have a decent book on
boudoir photography. but a good pose for a model is a good pose with or
w/o clothes. IE: look at most greek or roman statuary, and old masters
paintings with a nude.

do a search for Joseph Zeltsman who has some old tutorials about posing and
a system of deciding how and why to pose and light specific faces, its not a
bunch of rules but a systematic decision tree.

Also, could anyone recommend any good tips for getting a model to relax.

A. talk to them not your camera. you should be familiar enough with your
gear and what you are trying to do that you can keep up a running
conversation while doing what you are trying to do. If you are
inexperienced then its hard to do.

b. use feed back, in my film days I used a lot of polaroid, shoot one, show
it, discuss it, make suggestions, let them make suggestions. shoot another,
show it. and this draws the subject into the creative process, makes them a
partner in the creation of the image, they are not just a piece of meat to
be prodded but a participant. and for commissioned portraits, this makes
them far more willing to invest in it.

My
girlfriend wanted me to take some glamour shots of her, which we proceeded
to do but then I couldn't get her to make an alluring facial expression.

All
I got was shyness - and we've been together for 6 years!!

frankly shooting your own is the hardest subjects in the world. it really
is difficult. I think that was one of the few times my ex gf and I ever had
a screaming fight, another gf was a 'psychic' blinker well over 2/3rds of
all shots were blinks, and I was damn good at dealing with blinkers,
anticipating and waiting to shoot after a blink, hidding my trigger finger
etc. My brother always had this bizarre expression of someone about to
hurl.

Part of me thinks
that this would be less of a problem with a stranger .... is this

generally
the case? Comments anyone?

I have also been asked if I could take some tasteful nudes of a pregnant
lady. Any tips would be appreciated.

soft side lighting, remember you are lighting spherical shapes, loose clingy
fabrics