Old December 12th 12, 10:50 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.digital
Me

Default color wheel

On 12/12/2012 10:31 p.m., Tim Conway wrote:
"Dale" wrote in message
My Uncle is an artist

I have ten years work experience as an imaging system engineer

I was always under the impression that CMY were the color complements or
opposites of RGB

he and apparently many others use a color wheel where the are other
complements or opposites to RGB

does anyone know why this situation is? are there two rights or is someone
wrong?

There are others here that can answer you better. As far as I know it is
"two rights". RGB is generally in tv, video, photography etc. CMY(K) is
usually used in the printing industry. An example is the computer/monitor
is RGB, whereas your printer goes by CMYK. Both arrive at the same image
though or try to.
Tim

Google "additive and subtractive colour".
Easy to visualise if you understand that 50:50 red and green pixels on a
monitor give you bright yellow, red and green paint (or ink) mixed 50:50
give you a dirty brown, even if dirty brown is just "dark yellow".