Old October 3rd 03, 02:57 AM
Ken Hart

Default test strip

"sonsdad" wrote in message
Hi

What can anyone tell me about making a test strip. I am anxious to improve
my Black&White photography. I have a Nikon F60. Should I consider buying a
spotmeter, if so which, or will the cameras meter be adequate?

Thanking you group

To me, "test strip" is something used in the darkroom. Perhaps you mean
something else, since you don't mention anything about darkrooms.

Anyway, a test strip is used to determine proper exposure of the negative
onto the printing paper. The negative is placed in the enlarger and focused.
A piece of photo printing paper is placed in the easel, and all but 1/4 of
it is covered with an opaque card. An exposure of 5 seconds is made
(typically 5 seconds). The cover is moved back so that 1/2 of it is covered
and another 5 second exposure is made. The cover is moved back so that only
1/4 of it is covered and another 5 second exposure is made. The cover is
removed entirely and a final 5 second exposure is made. After processing,
you have a print with four exposures: 20, 15, 10, and 5 seconds. You pick
the best exposure, and make your print.

Sorry of this isn't what you mean!
Ken