Old November 18th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Cheap SD Cards

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:57:11 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:05:55 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/18/2017 12:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/17/2017 7:25 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/17/2017 11:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/16/2017 10:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had
weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual
portions
of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

Not like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

Yup! That looks like a corrupt file issue. As to where that corruption
is
happening one can best surmise that it was the card. However, there can
be
all sorts of causes, mostly due to current, clearing the buffer, and
writing
issues. So it would be best to run a check with a known good performing
card
to eliminate possible issues with the camera.

What was the brand of the card in question, what was its rating, and
which
camera were you using?

D800, and a Delkin Black. I complained to Delkin. They are sending me a
reader, and requested that I test the card with that reader. The shot
you see is a ten shot multiple exposure. I was testing to see how much
time was needed between shots, to get a similar effect to a long
exposure. despite the corruption, my conclusion is that it can be done.
In a calm bay it takes about 2.5 seconds between each shot, for a ten
shot exposure.

What is a Delkin Black?

Delkin Black is meaningless, all that tells us is who the manufacturer is.
What is the actual read/write speed of the card?

Also, because you have somewhat explained what you were doing with
multiple exposures, I suspect that this was just a slow card choking on what was
being fed it, and unable to clear the camera buffer. I have a feeling that if
you just used it to shoot a single exposure there might be no problem at all.
If you are going to use a high performance camera, you should use high
performance cards regardless of how tempting it might be to go the budget
card route.
Google is your friend:
https://www.delkindevices.com/product/black-memory-cards/

...and you have yet to tell us what the actual rating is. Google does not
tell us what is printed on the SD card in your possession.
Which of these Black cards did you buy?

UHS-II. As I said earlier, card speed is not an issue with SD on a D800.
That is not a combination where R/W speed is important.

UHS-II is just a class of card, still no R/W speed. Typically UHS-II cards
are not bargain basement cards, and you describe this particular card as
cheap.

Card speed is always an issue D800 or any other camera. R/W speed might not
be that important when shooting normal single shots, but you were engaged in
shooting multiple exposures.

Does this throw any light on the card requirements?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a9lvyuhcy...Cards.jpg?dl=0

Is a UHS-II card a "Type II card" which the manual says "cannot be
used"?

Eric Stevens