Old July 23rd 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.www.software
bugbear

Default What program is best at JPEG compression?

wrote:
Are some graphics programs better than others for compressing JPEG?
A friend swears that Image Ready is the best for getting the
smallest file with same quality.
But I see a few companies have made utilities purely for
compressing pictures, and claim they obtain better
compression than the top tier graphics programs.
I presume there are different numerical routines used by
different companies in their software, but I would guess
maybe 5% variation in file size at best.

No; quantisation, and it effects on data size are well
defined, but the visual effects of various quantisations
(the lossy part) are not completely understood.

This is where companies apply their "magic"
http://www.jpegwizard.com/
http://vision.arc.nasa.gov/dctune/

This page looks helpful:
http://www.webreference.com/dev/graphics/