Old January 16th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default A few bird pictures.

Tony Gartshore wrote:
I'm not sure whether I'm inspired or intimidated by the wildlife
photographs that some of you have on display. But having decided to
give bird photography a go here are a few I've taken in the last few
days..

First lesson:

Buzzard:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/47808461
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/28019171

Hawk:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/24561758
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/61239224

Hawks are cool.
Buzzards are ugly.

From a distance you can tell a Buzzard (Turkey Vulture) by his wings

and his flight.
They rock back and forth and are as liable to go right as left.
"Rock N Rollers," I call them.
A hawk or an eagle will usually soar with little effort in a circular
pattern.

Second Lesson:
Clean the dust off of your sensor.

Third Lesson:
Get a long lens.
You can never have enough telephoto.
I'm currently stuck at 400mm f/5.6, but I could do some real damage
with the 600 f/4.

Fourth Lesson:
Keep looking and keep shooting.
(This may be the most valuable lesson of all.)