Old October 19th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

It's been a while since I set up my backups, but - as I remember - I
had to make choices...where to back-up, when to back up, and what type
of back-up to do. That is a rather complicated process for someone
who is not computer-savvy. Even before that the person has to know
how to even start the process.

I had to set up a shared networked directory on another computer. Not
that trivial. Windows refused to use an USB stick for the backup.

only because windows makes even the simplest things more complicated
than it needs to be. to its credit it knew enough not to use a usb
stick for a backup.

on a mac, setting up a shared folder (or an entire drive) is trivial,
and if the goal is backups, you don't even need to set anything up.
simply choose the other computer in the time machine system preference
and the mac does the rest. and yes, it really is that simple.

there are many other options available for those who want to dig deeper
than that, however, a novice user does not need to.