Old May 31st 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Steven Green[_3_]

Default Could you actually see photos made from RAW files?

wrote:
Thanks for the overwhelming replies. I appreciate this very much. I
also like the analogy of building a house vs. renovate the house.
Perhaps in the future I will try to keep both RAW and JPEG files,
particularly when taking photos for important events.

I do, however, wonder that by working on raw format, one will end up
spending much more time post processing after the photos are taken.
This sometimes I do not have the luxury to do it. Therefore, I also
look around with interest on what camera is doing better than the
others (in terms of generating JPEG photos), or at least the
processing that this particular camera is suit to your likings in
colour, contrast, tones, etc.

I just have one question - if you take a photo which was out of focus,
could you actually make it in focus when you have the raw files?

One more time, I thank you very much to all responders for the very
useful discussion on this topic!
Regards

The optics control what is in focus at the plane where the film or
sensor is. What you see in a jpeg is essentially the same you will see
in the raw. You have no more control of focus in a raw than in a jpeg