Old January 16th 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Camera straps?

On 16/01/2019 13:42, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 16, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jan 16, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articlea_WdnchcDJqCsaLBnZ2dnUU78d3NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 15/01/2019 23:15, newshound wrote:
Out playing with my new X-T3 and vertical grip today, mainly with the
50-230 while I save up for a 100-400!

Partly shooting outdoors failing to capture pheasants (quite windy
today, the usually plentiful buzzards were nowhere to be seen), partly
shooting a horse rider in an indoor school.

The conventional neck strap on the eyelets at each end of the top plate
just keeps getting in the way, especially switching from portrait to
landscape (otherwise very easy, with this grip).

The grip comes with a tethering point on the bottom, I see from Amazon
that there are several similar straps worn diagonally across the chest,
with a single point fixing to the bottom of the camera. Does anyone have
any particular advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Or are they all
much the same?

With the weight of the grip and longer lens I think I need something
with DSLR rather than mirrorless ratings. Is the tether point a standard
size? I think I'd like something that is fairly quick to detach.

TIA...Steve

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I'll review them at
leisure, as a break from trying to understand and master the X-T3 focus
options! I scarcely needed to touch the manual for the X-E1, the T3 is a
whole new kettle of fish :-)

The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3 was to the Touch Screen
focus.

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Yes I think I am going to do this too. There is just *so* much to try to
get on top of, especially with three different ways to scroll through
the menus. Five if you include the controls on the vertical grip. I can
see that a professional sports or wildlife photographer using the camera
daily would get used to it fairly quickly. One thing that caught me out
the other day was shooting in relatively low light at 1/250 in auto iso,
not realising that the default setting had only 3200 as the maximum.
Why? It took me a while to spot why I was underexposing with the f/6
limit of the 50-230. But I can see that it is a great camera, it's just
going to take me a while to learn it. The X-E1 menus are more
transparent, to my mind, even though the T3 has more mechanical knobs.