Old January 26th 12, 07:46 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

Default Some data points for equipment price history

On 2012-01-26 04:12:14 +0000, David Dyer-Bennet said:

I've started posting some images of ad pages from old (1967-1986 so far)
Popular Photography and Modern Photography magazines. Since I'm using
library copies of the magazines that are bound, I can't flatten the
pages out, so they're not clean perfect scans, but they're legible.

The collection isn't very dense yet, but I've already found it useful.
It lives at http://dd-b.net/photography/PriceHistory/.

I've also written a blog post introducing it at
http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2012/01/photo-gear-price-history/.

Many thanks, David. The 1986 links particularly fascinated me because
that's around the time I switched to Nikon.

Your blog ends with the question "Is it a bad sign when I find I'm
nostalgic about old advertisements?" Not at all - the advertisements
remind me of the agonising decisions I had to make. E.g. I wanted a
Nikon FA, but all I could afford at the time was an F-301 (N2000). A
decade later, I managed to get a second-hand FA.