Old October 23rd 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Alex Monro

Default File names for various digital cameras and RAW extensions

wrote:

Two questions about recorded digital photo files:
1. Filename for photos : Canon with IMGxxx, Panasonic with Pxxx, Casio
with CIMGxxx, Sony with DSCxxx. What about others such as Pentax,
Nikon, Kodak, Olympus, Fuji, etc. ?

Fuji use filenames of the form "dscfnnnn", where the nnnn is a sequence
number. Some Olympus cameras use "pMMDDNNNN", where MM is the month, DD
the day of the month, and NNNN is a sequence number. I've seen some
cheap "no-name" cameras that seem to use "IMGnnnnn".

Could this name be changed prior to picture taken? or is this feature
built-in the camera that the photos will always have that file name,
plus the numbers that follow?

I think there are some cameras which allow a user settable prefix in the
filename, but this isn't common.