Old February 6th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Apteryx

Default long-time Nikon F2AS user -- which SRL digital is best?

"maya" wrote in message
. com...
tomm42 wrote:

Look at the D200, has the best feature set of non pro Nikon DSLRs. It
has a build quality like your F2. Can use manual focus lenses too,
but they have to be Ai or AiS, they have "feet" on the aperture ring.
An older non Ai Nikkor can damage the camera's aperture connection to
the lens. Older lenses can be converted.
Focusing with a WA is a bit of a pain with these cameras, I use a 24
f2 with a D200, with a 105 micro I'm fine. The other problem you will
run into is that the sensor is smaller, so your lenses act similar to
lenses 1.5 their focal length. A 24 becomes a 36mm, a 17mm = 25mm.
Takes a little getting used to, all Nikons DSLRs have this. I have 4
lenses 3 primes, a 17mm Tokina, a nice lens, the 24 f2 Nikon, a 55
micro, and a 70-210 f4 zoom, the set isn't perfect but works for me
and cost less than a grand. If you want to use zooms, somehow they go
with digital, the 18-70 Nikkor kit lens is good, but may not be wide
enough for you, the 17-55, and the 17-35, the latter could be used on
your F2, are excellent lenses with fairly high price tags. For wide
angle lenses there are 12-24 Nikon and Tokina, and 10-20 Sigma, a 17mm
Tokina is also a good choice .

Tom

oh my gosh, two people say I should look @ D200 instead... ok, what are
main differences, please, between D200 and D80 that will make it worth it
(i.e., justifiable) for me to purchase the D200..

thank you very much..

I've also had a F2AS for nearly 30 years, although I've only shot 2 rolls of
film on it since getting my D70 3 years ago, and don't think I've used it
all since upgrading to a D200 just under a year ago.

I'm assuming you have a collection of AI manual focus lenses to go with your
F2AS. If so, then the chief advantage of the D200 is that is will meter with
them. You could still mount them on the D80, but would need to carry a
hand-held meter if you planned on using them extensively. If on the other
hand you plan to replace all your AI MF lenses with modern AF lenses, then
the price advantage of the D80 will help you do that.

You will probably need to buy at least one new lens (18-70, 18-200, or
12-24mm) because one any Nikon DSLR, your 24mm will only have the angle of
view that a 36mm would have on your F2AS (though as such it is still pretty
useful, and my MF 24mm is possibly the MF lens I use most often on my D200).

--
Apteryx