Old July 7th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Default Scanning Thousands of Slides

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham wrote:

Kodak used to make a "professional" film that would give you both slides and
negatives back I don't remember how it worked....Obviously the film in the
camera was either one or the other, and they had to make the, "other" in the
lab. In those days they designated their film types with a number. Today,
they give them some Mickey Mouse name, and so you don't know what you are
really using.....It's all part of the "dumbing down" of the society that has
taken place during my lifetime.

There never was a film that offered both slides and negatives per se. There
may have been a time when one could order slides made from negatives [thus
"printing to slides"] or perhaps negatives made from slides [thus printing to
negative film]. The fact is that slide "color reversal film" is by definition
not a negative and further, the slide is the film itself, just as the
negatives are the film itself ... you can't get both from the same roll of
film.

Hi Thomas...

Way way back in the dusty dark corners of my memory I recall
reading something, somewhere about a "dual film" film. Two layers
of film sandwiched together so they'd be exposed simultaneously, one
being reversal film and the other a plain jane negative.

Having said that, never used it, nor even saw it offered for sale.

Digging even further back, I'd like to suggest that it may have
been Polaroid who was involved.

Gonna google around a bit; see what comes up.

Take care.

Ken