Old July 7th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,alt.photography

Default Scanning Thousands of Slides

DD wrote:
In article op.tb9sb9jej9nxpm@clive,
says...

Having recently moved to digital I too have slides to scan (15,000 - since
the early 70's)

I see many very big hard drives in your future.

What's the point of scanning them all in anyway? Are you going to be
looking at them again anytime soon? Are you running an image library?

I think as photographers we get these silly notions in our heads about
keeping our past current with technology. If you really feel the urge to
scan all your old film, ask yourself why first.

I've also recently invested in a film scanner and after spending hours
scanning a few selected images into the hard drive (each resulting in
monster size TIFFs), I have no desire to digitise the archive. Let 'em
be archived the way they were shot - as film...

Couldn't agree more! When I retired I was going to scan all of my
personal work - slides, 4x5 6x6 and 35mm negs..... But then I asked my
self "What for, who's going to look at them?". I've probably got about
50 images that I think are worth hanging on the wall, they're the ones
I'll make an effort to keep. The rest can stay as trannies or negs, my
kids can have a big bonfire of the lot when I go. That's after being an
enthusiastic amateur and a professional scientific photographer for 45
years. I'm sure we only keep the old stuff for ego's sake.

My advice is leave the old stuff in the old technology, as DD says.
Phil