Old February 29th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Greg Campbell[_2_]

Default SFO, Yosemite, etc.

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:34 pm, Alan Browne

wrote:
Thanks Paul, we realize that that is a particularly hot period but it's
when my SO can take vacation.

With all the gear we'll likely hire a donkey to lug the weight.

Might I suggest Rita for the job? You won't find a bigger ass on
which to haul all that gear around.

Leave it to the resident jackass to pollute every last thread on this
group....

Death Valley IS survivable in summer.
If you have camping equipment, set up shop at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat
campsites, high up in the Pananmint range. (36°13'48.12"N 117°4'7.02"W)
and retreat to higher altitude by 10am of so. There are several
photogenic sites nearby; the ghost town of Skidoo, the charcoal kilns,
Augereberry point, and more.
Otherwise, you can get a room in Beaty and hide out during the afternoon
heat.

Pre-dawn and early AM aren't too bad; it's cool enough to allow a bit of
activity. Try a 3AM hike of the Stovepipe Dunes. Schedule your trip to
include moonlight and you've got some compelling photo opportunities.

The Bristlecone Pine forest is a hundred miles up the road and are well
worth the visit. http://sonic.net/bristlecone/ If you have a high
clearance vehicle, try descending Silver Canyon and enjoy the rugged
scenery.

IMO, Big Pine is much more relaxing than the overgrown Bishop. Stay in
the Big Pine Motel and enjoy a beer and BBQ on the lawn.

North of Big Pine the Owens Valley offers all manner of scenery.
There's really too much to list. Grab Google Earth, enable the
Panoramio layer and take a virtual tour of the area. Mono Lake, Devil's
Postpile, Mammoth Mountain, Convict Lake, Bodie, etc., etc.

Last I looked, Yosemite area camping can be found on a first-come basis
in Lee Vining Canyon, just east of the park.

N of Yosemite, check out at least one of the passes across the Sierra.
Hwy 108 and 89 are both spectacular.

More later....