Old February 26th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default SFO, Yosemite, etc.

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[also posted on rpd.slr-sys]

Just turned in a pile of points for a trip to CA via San Francisco
this summer (2 weeks, Last half of July). Nature destinations are
Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley.

Death Valley will be very hot in late July, I've done so & it was
sweltering even in the morning. The Central valley and inner coast
ranges are almost as bad. At the same time SF will be chilly & shrouded
in fog but if you follow the edge of the fog along the coast it's
lovely, like in the coast redwoods. Fingers of fog & sun mixing is nice.

And the high Sierras will be good so maybe check out the view from above
the canyon. Sonora Pass is a fun winding high mountain pass:
http://edgehill.net/California/Sierr...a-pass/pg3pc14
with Tioga in Yosemite for a loop, and down to June Lake, etc.

Thanks Paul, we realize that that is a particularly hot period but it's
when my SO can take vacation. We've done other "hot" trips, nothing a
slow walk with plenty of water can't handle.

I'll be trying to get a high sierra camp in Yosemite, but the lottery
ended in Nov 2007! I'll call in, faint hope, for any reservations that
may open up (cancellations) on April 1. With all the gear we'll likely
hire a donkey to lug the weight. At this stage, our hiking will be
limited to day loops.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco."
-mis-attributed to Samuel Clemens.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.