Old August 8th 04, 03:18 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Why are low dpi printers more expensive?

writes:

I'm looking to buy a new photo printer for my Canon 10d digital
camera.

I want an Epson printer because the carts are cheap and the printers
last a long time.

Just one thing, I've seen DPI on the new and old printers and I can't
understand why the low dpi printers cost more momey.

For example, Epson Stylus Photo 2100 is 2880 DPI on A3 paper and costs
around £422. The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is 5760 DPI on A4 paper and
costs £240. There are other printers aswell which are like this, low
DPI more money, high DPI less money.

The important point here is that the 2100 is a wide-carriage printer,
capable of printing up to 12 inches wide. The R800 is a
narrow-carriage printer, limited to 8.5 inches wide.

Wide-carriage printers are both harder to build, and sell in smaller
quantities, so they're expensive.