Old January 15th 21, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

I have made progress since writing the above but still have not solved
my problem.

that's because you have correctly not identified the problem.

From the beginning I noticed that Photoshop seemed to be using only
one core (out of 12) of the processor

photoshop uses as many cores as is appropriate. not everything benefits
from multiple cores. the obvious one is file i/o.

but then I discovered that when
I started to load a raw file into PS Windows Explorer would start
running and placing a significant load on the rest of the cores. I
also discovered that Windows Error Reporting was running at a high
rate with its power usage described as Œhigh'. Eventually I tracked
down Intel TBMT (Turbo Boost Max Technology) as being the source of
the pat of my problem. With TBMT turned off the CPU uses all cores and
Windows Explorer does not run wild. But even so PS is still slow. Even
when it loads an image the action of ACR sliders is slow and and
sticky, and the use of ACR is nowhere near as easy as it is working on
the same file with Lightroom. My basic problem remains that PS always
opens files in ACR and takes forever to become useable.

that's a symptom of a bigger problem.

This only a recent problem. It does not lie in ACR which runs
prefectly well in Lightroom. It has something to do with TBMT but the
problem is specific to PS. Any thoughts will be welcome although I
suspect there is probably nothing I can do about it until either Adobe
of Microsoft come up with a fix.

the problem is not adobe or microsoft, but rather something specific to
your setup.