Old January 11th 19, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest (waiting for specific offering)

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The problem is clearly DXO's testing methods. No matter how you look
at this, you have to be able to imagine all kinds of sources of
inaccurate measurements, especially if they are slight. I have to
agree with nospam and Alan. You can't get DR outside of the limits of
the ADC because that is the output you see, but you can certainly get
test results outside of that limit.

But the digital DR of the output of the ADC is not the same as the
analog DR of the sensor. Nor is there any reason why it should be.

nobody said it was, however, it's always going to be limited by the adc.

and if it really *is* the sensor they're measuring, then it should be
the *same* for the *same* sensor, and it is not.

if they're supposedly measuring the sensor's dynamic range, explain why
the nikon d50 & d70 differ by a half-stop, both of which used the same
popular 6mp sony sensor (as did pentax). other results also differ.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D50
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D70