Old May 25th 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Rear Window 500/8 Mirror

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 25 May 2018 14:16:24 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On May 25, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 16:48:23 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On May 24, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

So if I keep my music backups or perhaps old software backups and put it
on a server for others to download that is exempt ?

NO. If you read, and understand the EULA for the software, and understand
the copyright for the music, you will discover that you do not have the right,
or license to freely distribute anything you have stored on any server.

True but that is irrespective of whether or not it is on a server.
Duplicating a CD or vinyl record, a perfume, a handbag, a pair of trainers or
any object and selling it on or even giving it away is illegal.

If you do, you are stealing from the copyright holders. You would be potentially
subject litigation by the developers of the software, copyright holders,
and/or the owners of the distribution rights of the music.

Yes I know, but it doesn't rely on 'servers' servers have nothing to do with
whether it is legal or not.

There is a big difference between a personal backup copy for fair use,

See you said fair use which is why I said, backing up is a fair use so not
illegal if I then hand my backup to those that want to give me money for my
backup or I just share that backup with other whether I allow them to copy my
backup or I put it on the a server then it becomes illegal.
It is what I do not what I have.

distributing copies,

yes so you do agree with me it's what you do or the intention sucg as sharing
on a p2p system.

even if you give them away. If you do that you are denying the
copyright holders income they are intitled to. The result is effectively theft.

Yes effectively theft but not theft otherwise we wouldn't need copyright.

Even in ignorance it is theft.

I believe you use an old version of Photoshop, read the EULA, and try to
understand what is being said.

I have and do and I'm using it within the EULA as far as I can tell.

In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property or services
without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the
lawful owner of it.

For theft you have to deprive someone, if yuo still someone data which is
what were talking about you are NOT depriving them of it.

If you sell or give away copies of software you are licensed to use, or music
you have bought, you are copyright holders,

No I don't hold the copyright to music I have brought. I think you'll
find micheal jackson brought the copyright of a lot of the beatles music
I couldn't afford it. Not that I have ANY beatles music .

or music license holders of the income that intellectual property would,
or should have generated for them.

You are only licensed for personal use, not to redistribute,

Yes I know I dont; own the copyright all I have is a license to listen to
what I have brought.

if you do, you are violating the EULA,

I agree with that.

and depriving the copyright owners of a sale.

I don't agree with that.

How is you giving away, or selling a copy not depriving the copyright
holder of a sale?

That is no different from shoplifting, ergo theft.

It;s very differnt in law otherwise we wouldn;lt need interlectual
property rights would we.

They are then entitled to legal recourse.

Yes but just supose I or anyone stole yuor cheetah image what sort and
how much legal recourse would you have ?

That would depend on how it was used. Use it for personal viewing, (as I
intended in this particular case before it was taken out of my control with
the FB repost), and i wouldn’t bother too much. Use it as a stock photo for
a web site, or an ad, you will find that you will be hearing from me. There
are remedies which the Courts will support, and I will be paid.

Savageduck