Old August 25th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Default Compression in JPEG files in digital cameras

HEMI-Powered wrote:

HEMI, could you please post an impage where you can easily see
JPEG artifacts at the highest quality your Rebel produces?
The reason I ask is, it's hard for me to see JPEG artifacts at
Q 95 and 1x1 or 2x1 chroma subsampling.

Incidently, I don't think I ever said I've seen an artifact in my
Rebel's higher of its two available quality settings. What I said
was that some significant percentage at the lower setting DID
exhibit artifacts.

OK, thanks. This kind of supports my assertion (on another thread)
that the initial JPEG encoding imposes little lossage on an image
other than what the Bayer-pattern sensor has already imposed.

As to Chroma subsampling, my normal setting is 1x2. I will lower
the compression number and/or change to 1x1 (none) until I can
eliminate the damage as described above.

It probably does no good, and might actually harm your image, to
switch from 2x1 chroma subsampling to 1x1. (I trust your Rebel
is writing 2x1, not 1x1.)