Old August 25th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Compression in JPEG files in digital cameras

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

HEMI-Powered wrote:
OK, but again, Thomas, I interpreted the OP as being a fairly new
digital owner and thus a novice on file types, so I just
mentioned TIFF as an alternative if their camera supports it.
TIFF is universally recognized, although news readers cannot
decode it in line, and about its only drawback other than large
size is that if you want to save EXIF, you cannot use LZW
compression, or at least AFAIK.

Hardly any cameras support TIFF. Yes, you can use EXIF with LZW ... the are
completely unrelated as far as TIFF is concerned.

heavily edited, for brevity

Hello, Thomas:

Oh, then, I'm so very lucky that my Kodak P850 can do both TIFF and
RAW, in addition to JPEG. g

Cordially,
John Turco