Old December 8th 05, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default What exposure mode do you shoot in.

In message .com,
"Bill Hilton" wrote:

John P Sheehy writes ...

I shoot wildlife at ISO 1600, and still get heavy under-exposure
with the lens wide-open in Tv mode, set to the slowest
hand-holdable shutter speed, even with IS

I took around 12,000 images of wildlife last year and probably 11,900
were shot at ISO 200-320 with just a few at 800, typically birds in
flight late in the day. Never at 1600. Can you show us some of the
types of shots you take where 1600 is required? How slow is your lens?

Slow enough that I need to shoot at 1600. You don't trust me?

Had I set the camera to Av mode, I would have unusably blurred images.

I don't understand this comment. "with the lens wide-open in Tv mode"
gives you the same exposure as using Av mode with the lens set wide
open.

I was writing about situations in which ISO 1600 still results in
under-exposure. Av Mode, in such cases, will result in blur. Tv mode
will result in some under-exposure. Manual mode will result in either,
depending upon your settings.

You must shoot wildlife in bright light

They certainly look better in good light, but even in low contrast
overcast light (like say five days of rain in Alaska photographing
brown bears) I never felt I needed ISO 1600.

That's because you decided to do wildlife photography in relatively high
light. When I do that, I am more likely to do Av or manual.
--

John P Sheehy