Old December 7th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default What exposure mode do you shoot in.

In message 587d17a8f6ad0@uwe,
"Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com" u15199@uwe wrote:

Manual might not be as fast as "program" shooting but it would or rather
could be more accurate. I can adjust a stop if I feel I need it as a
critter walks into the shade and I can do it in a hurry.

I can adjust a stop of EC if the light balance in the image changes,
too.

Really, though, you replied to me when I was writing in a context of
insufficient light, where there was always too little light for a proper
exposure at ISO 1600. I mentioned this as a situation in which Av mode
is fairly useless, and Tv is better. I did not say that manual couldn't
be better in some circumstances. I use manual frequently, when the
lighting is constant. I was out in the snow the other day, under an
over-cast sky and I had the camera set to manual, and made fine
adjustments as it got closer to dusk. The sky and the ground were
nearly identical in intensity that day. No matter how much of the scene
was the lake's surface; no matter how much was sky, snow, or tree bark,
all the exposures were the same; the sky was just shy of clipping the
RAW data.

I have had the same
cameras hanging around my neck for years and decades and we have a good
relationship. What do you think photographers did before "modes" and
"programs" and auto focus? And they took some mighty fine photos.

Yes, but who knows how many "mighty finer" pictures they could have
taken with different approaches or different equipment!

I guess, I do what works for me and has worked for 25 years.

There is almost always a better way.

--

John P Sheehy