Old July 28th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default P&S's day has come and gone

Pete D wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
PeteD wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:42:28 -0400, "Richard"
wrote:

The other day I picked up a Nikon D100 and a Sigma 70-300mm zoom for
$200.00
used in near mint condition. I've seen Olympus and Pentax DSLRs going
for
as low as $175.00 as "open box" (store demos). Why would I even
consider
(barring the extreme need for portability) a P&S?

Have you ever visited an active volcano during an eruption?

I this April just past (Rabaul in new Guinea). My weapon of choice was
my trusty old Canon S2 IS.

A DSLR does not last long there.
And why the freaking hell would a S2 IS last longer than one of my D-SLRs
that is complely sealed? If I was to visit someting like that I would
most certainly take my best camera with one lens and get more and better
shots than any P&S.

Maybe, maybe not. It isn't the camera, but the person behind the camera
that makes a good, or bad picture.

And if your camera takes a second to take a shot and mine takes90
milliseconds I expect you will be disappointed.

Why should I be disappointed about my camera taking a few milliseconds
longer to take a picture? I am old, but not so old the difference
between 1/10 of a second, and 1 second to take a picture is going to
seriously concern me.