Old May 27th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Paul J Gans

Default B&H puts another local camera store out of business (with my help, unfortunately)

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Mark B. wrote:

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
Yes, Castle Photo of Lansing, in business for over 25 years, is closing
its doors.

According to B&H's website, they've been in operation for more than 30
years. Castle Photo apparently didn't do something right.

Once upon a time I had a number of local camera stores within
walking distance.

One was Adorama. Another was B&H (then on 17th Street). And
the third was Cambridge Camera, well known to folks who bought
from magazine ads as a group of slightly marginal ethics.

Yes, I live in New York.

I bought in person from all three. Cambridge had some
knowlegeable folks working in their storefront and I was
never ripped off or badly treated. Nevertheless, their
storefront is now gone.

Adorama has a small, crowded storefront and though the
sales staff was nice, they were often too busy to deal
with my touchy-feely desires. But they saw the handwriting
on the wall and have a splendid web operation.

B&H was then a couple of blocks away from Adorama. They
too had a small storefront and very nice clerks. But
even then they took the time to cater to each customer.
That meant that I often had to wait a while for a clerk,
but it was worth it.

All the while, they grew their web business. In particular
they have paid special attention to their web customers.
Many of you have noted that Henry Posner of B&H is a sometimes
poster in these groups. He used to be even more active
a while back.

Judging from these three (and a few other smaller stores
that never really had a chance) what was and is needed for
survival is both good walk-in karma *and* a strong, reliable
web operation.

B&H's current store is huge. It is certainly the largest
camera store in the US and is perhaps the largest in the
world. It is packed most of the time. And it is packed
by not just natives like me who can walk to it, but it is
packed by folks from around the world. They are all
treated well. Certainly I'm treated well and they don't
know me by sight at all.

I think that both the walk-in and web aspects help B&H.
They've been very clever, but mostly they have been doing
honest business for a number of years.

They will likely be around for many more.

--
---- Paul J. Gans