Old January 28th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What to do? Opinions needed!

"Helen" writes:

I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.

Well, I'd try learning just enough to take snapshots on full auto, and
then see if you find it of any use for a few months. I think it's a
great little camera (though I'd prefer the 610 -- plenty of resolution
for what you use this kind of camera for, and lower image noise, and
cheaper). If it's of any use, you can always learn more later. It
supports full manual exposure, and macro focusing, and the tilt/swivel
LCD is really handy for candid portraiture and also for low-light work
(the camera can rest solidly on the table and you can still see the
LCD to compose, for example).

But what people "like" is, in the final analysis, completely
subjective, so you may continue to hate it. I took to digital
photography instantly, after more than 30 years of serious film
photography, but other people find it unpleasant, or too much trouble,
or don't like the results, or just too big a learning curve. (I'm a
computer geek, and have been doing that professionally since before I
got my first SLR camera).