Old March 5th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Default Setting color profile in camera??

On Mar 5, 4:13 am, "stormlady" wrote:
Hi all,

So I'm taking a photography course with one of our local photographers
and as part of the course, we covered in camera color profiles. His
recommendation was to set the camera to Adobe RGB as opposed to sRGB.
He said it is more of an industry standard, or something like that, a
more true color rendition because it has more actual colors available
to it.

Then on Saturday, DBf attends a photography workshop at the local
camera store, and they recommend the exact opposite, to keep the
camera in sRGB instead of adobe RGB.

So now I'm confused about what it should be, s or adobe RGB. Is one
really better than the other?

FWIW, I took pretty much the same shot with both settings, and the
adobe seemed to be more saturated, the other looked a little washed
out.

The uses for sRGB and Adobe RGB are a big different, for displaying on
a computer sRGB is by far the best.
In some cases for printing Adobe RGB can be better, but only if the
people doing the printing can handle that color space, not all can.

The best solution in my mind is to just shoot raw, then you can
convert to either color space as needed.

Scott