Old April 11th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Default cameraz camera

Bob has been in this business man and boy for a hell of a
long time and further works for a big importer of all things
photographic including some of the best large format lenses
on the planet (which you would know if you'd been on Usenet
more than twenty minutes). He puts up with a lot of crap
from all of us (and we all know he has an axe to grind for
his paymasters (grin)) but is also one hell of a resource
for all questions photographic. He can be a bit short at
times but you were just plain rude.

These old long roll cameras are practically useless in the
field unless you plan on packing a very long extension cord.
Shutters are electrically fired and many of the cameras
also use electric motors to advance the film. They can be a
PITA to load and unload without a big changing bag or a
darkroom, they use long rolls of 35mm, 46mm, 70mm (or wider)
film. And they weigh a flippin' ton. Your choices of
emulsions today would probably begin and end with Kodak and
Fuji color negative, the film is in 100 foot rolls, you'll
need some sort or long roll processing rig to process and
print the negatives. In all respects this is the exact
antithesis of a large format camera, which can be used to
expose film under almost any conditions in the field,
individual sheets of film can be processed and printed to
exacting standards (Zone System, etc.).

To be fair I should add that I have seen adapters that fit
in place of the long roll magazines for a graflok back or
other contrivance that permit ground glass viewing and use
of regular roll film backs. These were employed for focus
checking and test work (and the occasional job that was too
small to justify loading up 100 feet of film.) If your
outfit did not come with the back you could probably buy one
(expensive but try Photo Control) or make one. I don't know
anything about your skill level but you original question
didn't inspired any confidence in your DIY talents.

Camerez produced a lot of different models over the years
with different lenses, most of the lenses would not cover
4x5 but you can Google to find the image circle of the
lenses on your system. If they do cover (possible) they are
probably Tessar derivations with little or no excess
coverage or telephoto designs like my Wollensak 254mm Raptar
telephoto which will just barely cover (I've been told).
Tele lenses rarely, if ever, require big view camera type
corrections. And portrait lenses never do. The Raptar is
going onto my Speed Graphic when I find the time. Probably
used with a 6x9 roll film back.

Why not start with something easier? This week I bought an
Omega View D for $68 and a Graphic View for $56.00. I need
only add a lens and tripod to either and I'm good to go.

"...but I am not stupid."

rude and stupid

"I asked for information on the lens."

stupid again, would have been useful to tell us which lens
is currently attached to this monster since lenses do
interchange.

"You do know what a lens is used for don't you?"

rude and stupid again, Bob sells lenses for a living

darkroommike

Richard Herbert Johnson wrote:
Bob Salomon wrote:

Cameraz made long roll portrait cameras that were used by school
photographers and were fairly common in some production portrait
studios. They have no application to large format photography. Most
used long roll 35mm or 70mm film.

I have the camera, I know what it was used for. The bellows is 5 3/4"
by 7 " . It can extend up to 10 inches from the focal plane. It has
potential to be anything I chose it to be. What are you , an armchair
photographer who doesn't know a screwdriver from a hack saw ? I am a man
of modest means trying to build something with what I have but I am not
stupid. I asked for information on the lens. You do know what a lens is
used for don't you ?