Old December 22nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

Default End of an Era

"TW" wrote in message
I welcome the change if it means that the long term viability of the
K-mount is secure.

As I understand it, Pentax has not charged royalties to other manufacturers
that incorporated the K-mount, so that is not a factor.

The mount would have little value to an independent manufacturer unless
there was a major player, like Pentax, serving to anchor it. And, there are
few independent brands out there. Vivitar, Chinon, not exactly inspiring.

All the more reason for buyers to stick with the big brands in the hope that
their investments won't go down the drain. When I eventually buy into a
DSLR system, it is going to be Nikon. I had stated previously that I would
not even consider Pentax--and this from someone that has shot nothing BUT
Pentax film cameras and lenses for nearly 35 years.