Old September 11th 04, 03:42 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"John McGraw" wrote in message
m...
Hi All
Recently I've noticed a few posts about Masking & Masking w/ Kodalith.
I seem to remember reading about Masking w/ heat-developed film. This
media was very fast to develop, didn't require drying, and seemed like
the way to go. Is it still available? Does anyone use it? Are there
any huge drawbacks to it? Or perhaps, better yet, lacking answers to
the above, could anyone direct me to an on or off line reference? I
spent ~ an hour Googling & didn't find anything
Thanks John

Hi John,

Can't help you with the heat-developed film but for classic silver masking,
here are a few links:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/masking101.htm
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unsharp/
http://www.radekaphotography.com

Ctein book "Post Exposure" (ISBN 0-240-80299-3, but a new edition seems to
be available) has also a chapter about masking.

And finally an under construction page (in french, but you may translate it
using google language tools):
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/photo/mask.htm
This one is more aimed at 35mm. Just hope to finish it one day ...

Lith film is sometimes used to preserve the extreme highlights. A first
high-contrast mask is done where only the specular highlights appear
(completely black), this mask isapplied onto the slide and then the final
contrast reducing mask is done.
There are several other masks types, including some for color correction.
Masking can of course be used for B/W but, as we already have several other
tools to modify contrast, it is less used.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch