Old July 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
Zebedee

Default Digital quality (vs 35mm): Any real answers?

I spent ages working out all the details. I came to the conclusion that if
you measured the area of a perfect print from a 35mm negative or 35mm slide
in inches and then divided the dimensions by 150 you'd be able to work out
the vertical/horizontal pixels of the image. Then simply multiply the two
together to get megapixels. That's the theory anyway.

In practice, how big is the biggest print you normally make? If your normal
biggest print is 10x8 then 3 megapixels is all you ever need (two at a
pinch).

But the biggest limitation is your printer. How many of us can afford an A3
or greater printer or even the ink to make A3 prints?

How many A4 prints can you hang on your wall?

I decided to settle on 3 megapixels. It's adequate for my needs and as with
slides, I ensure my photos are perfect before I squeeze the button. I claim
3 megapixels is the perfect equivalent of 35mm for most purposes. 6mp just
eats up storage space for no visible advantage.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt