Old July 22nd 12, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:16:12 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-07-21 16:18:52 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Oops! Somehow part of this article has been sent off already. Never
mind, there is more.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

When this topic was first mooted someone made a remark which made me
think of reflections, images mirrored in the computer etc. From that
moment I was hooked on reflections and the like and never gave thought
to multiple objects. It's amazing how you can develop a blind spot.

Pairs-Savageduck-01
-----------------------
Technically excellent, as always. The three power plant stacks make a
magnificent shot but I found the clutter of masts and overhead gear
(Tell me, can birds fly through all these?) detracted from the three
piles in the foreground. In fact, to be honest, I found the clutter so
bad that the first time around I missed the three piles in the
foreground until somebody else pointed them out. Could you have
emulated your cousin Donald and run out into midair to take a
portrait-view photograph from further to the left. This would have cut
out all the clutter in the foreground. If you can do this please give
me warning so I can turn up with my camera.

MG made a similar comment, I just selected the one submitted. Among the
shots I took that day was this one;
http://db.tt/6xmaMQR6

You were still not out in midair. :-(

Pairs-Savageduck-02
------------------------
Very similar boats, very similar names (both beginning with 'L'),
almost identical anchor winches: there is not much doubt that these
boats qualify as a near-enough pair. But, somehow, the picture seems a
little crowded.

It's a pair of working fishing boats, tied up at a working dock. They
didn't have time to tidy up for me.

Pairs-Savageduck-03
Four of a kind but, again, it feels too crowded to me.

Crowded? It seems positively minimalist to me. Unless four kayaks too
many for you.

Eric Stevens