Old June 25th 04, 08:22 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default Nikon D70 and lens selection (DX vs. others)

paul wrote:

Yes you are correct. Any idea how many defective pixels are allowed by
different manufacturers? And how do I recognize them in my camera?

There is a free program called DeadPixelTest that will analyze images
and tell you how many pixels are hot or dead, based on luminance levels
you can set.

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm

My 300D shows none at 2 seconds, 1 at 4 seconds and 13 or so at 30
seconds. So what it is seeing is noise, basically.

My original 300D had a hot pixel at 1/500 sec exposure -- truly a focal
plan defect -- and I had it replaced.

Phil