Old November 26th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Boland[_2_]

Default Need help selecting digital camera

Newsgroup,

I need to get a digital camera to replace the Polorid 600, and would
appreciate any help. Some information about the camera use to help
guide the comments:

* The camera will be used mostly for documentation of things like
scope traces, printed circuit traces, control panel pictures, and some
field test items that may be in bright sun. Light levels run from
normal room lighting to bright sun. Speed from stationary, to
oscilloscope display, to moderately fast moving (1/30s to 1/250s
typically).

* Users of the camera vary between no photography experience, to a
fair amount of experience. That said, the camera should be as simple
to use as possible because I don't want people spending time tweaking
settings.

* Picture size is typically 5 in. by 7 in. some are larger.

* Budget is limited and I would like to stay at $100 (U.S.) or less.

* Features that seem important a
- Easy to use is number 1, which includes controls and menus.
- Very good quality pictures (focus, exposure, color) important.
- Very reliable.
- Easy to use in the sun. I like viewfinders for this, but...
- Optical zoom of 3 to 1 or better.
- Batteries that can be obtained at 'mart's is a must.
- Easy to down-load to P.C. or printer, and quickly.
- Macro would be nice for close-ups of circuit card failures.
- Manual controls would be nice, at least for some of us.

Some cameras that I'm considering are the ones that will be on sale
for black Friday. They a
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...83 2852010904
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...16 2793659556
Nikon Coolpix L18 Digital Camera - $99.99 at Ritz
Olympus Stylus 760 Digital Camera - $99.99 at Ritz
Kodak EasyShare C913 9MP 2.5" LCD With Free Canon Photo Printer,
$79.99 at Staples
Casio EX-Z9 8.1MP Digital Camera - $99.99 at K-Mart (Thur. only)
Kodak EasyShare MX1063 10MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom - $89.00 Target

Thanks for any serious suggestions.
Dave