Old September 4th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Frank Arthur

Default Un-retouched photos - Galleries

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
It is my understanding that in any digital cameras, image
processing
is made inside the camera using the image sensor processing engine.
In
some advanced digital cameras, they let the users keep the
unprocessed
photos (RAW files), instead of the JPG files (which had been
processed
by the camera).
My questions are as follows:
- what is the extension file for RAW ? (like .jpg in jpeg files)
Could this RAW files be viewed using any photo viewer software (as
they are, i.e. without interference or retouching from the

The filename extention for RAW is .raw.
You may view & process RAW files using IrfanView
http://www.irfanview.net/
Regards Mike.

That's strange. My Nikon D80 produces Raw images with a .dng
extension.