Old January 12th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Littlewood

Default Are IS lenses doomed ?

In article , Neil
Harrington writes

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

One slightly ironic point is that so far all the sensor-stabilised cameras
have been 1.5X APS factor. [ . . . ]

Off topic for the thread, but this is the first time I've seen that term,
"APS factor," used. I think it's a very good one, much better than the
common "crop factor" (and variants) which I have always objected to on the
grounds that nothing is actually being cropped, and even if it were, nothing
is being *multiplied* by the so-called crop and the 1.5x or other number
given is obviously a multiplier.

"APS factor" is very good.

Well, up to a point, Lord Copper.

The reference to APS indicates that the sensor is the same size as APS
film (more specifically, IIRC, APS-C). This is decidedly specific; there
are many other sensor sizes in use in digital cameras, so the term would
not do for a general case.

Would be a lot more rigorous if the exact sensor size in mm were to be
quoted.

David
--
David Littlewood