Old April 19th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

Default IS

wrote in message
oups.com...
My first digital camera, a Sony Mavica CD1000 has IS and it takes
very good shots but only has 2.1 megapixels. I still use my Mavica
because it is so good. Having said that, I wanted a smaller, higher
megapixel camera to take with me everywhere. I bought the Canon A640
and am in love. It doesvery well in most conditions. Even gotten super
Northern Lights shots and night time pics of lighted ice carvings. At
first I was concerned that the A640 doesn't have IS. But then my logic
for buying it anyway was that NONE, of my film cameras ever had image
stabilization and I got good shots with them. So. At least with
digital you don't have to pay for any bad shots! Snap away. I have
been enjoying my A640 for about 4 months now and no real complaints. I
take it with me everywhere. I did purchase a small tripod to improve
the odds of better shots. But I also have gotten good shots while I'm
driving along, snapping away.
I do plan on purchasing the extra add on lenses Canon offers for
this camera. Happy Snapping!

Your Canon doesn't have enough telephoto/zoom to need IS. IS might help you
in some low light situations though.

Ron