Old August 2nd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default how do you resize photos

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:29:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:

I should add that I have just found a Canon provided program on my machine,
called Arc Soft Photo Studio 5.5. and also Irfanview. Irfanview is more of
a picture viewer than an editing program.

I have looked at both of those and there is no way of resizing without
adding or removing pixels. That is a bad thing to do, because it will cause
damage to the picture which will almost certainly have had its pixels
changed already.

I took the question to be more about how to get the pictures
properly printed on 4" x 6" paper than to actually do image
resizing. And so . . .

When you select File - Print from IrfanView's menu, you get a
Print Preview window that allows you to specify the print size
without making any changes to the image file. Set the "Units" to cm
or inches, then select the Custom radio button. Make sure that the
Aspect Ratio box is checked, and then play with values for Width and
Height or the image might undergo some bizarre stretching. Beneath
the preview window IrfanView shows the "Resulting image size on
paper" in both cm and inches. Unless the image size already has a
4x6 aspect ratio you'll either have uneven white margins or no
margins, but with some truncation of the image. It's probably
easier to work with copies of the images, where you'd be free to
crop, rotate, spindle and mutilate.