Old August 2nd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles

Default how do you resize photos

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:43:32 GMT, "Cassie"
wrote:

Hi' all.
Could someone please tell me how to resize photographs. My friend was sent a
few photos via email and they are all large raging from 576KB & some a bit
smaller but not much, and she asked me how to resize them. I'm not very
familiar with photos and I have only enlarged them in the past I think, it's
been a while since I did it. Also I am not very computer savvy just know a
little bit more than my friend. She didn't have any software so I downloaded
"Irfanview" on her computer and she wanted 6x4 inches but no matter what I
did I couldn't get 6x4inches it kept jumping back to a different number, I
managed to get 7x5 but not sure how I did it now. My friend has the starter
program of Adobe photo shop and found 6x4 but it would not print on her
Hewlett Packard. I had a practise on my computer with Grandview as I have a
photo in my pictures that is 576KB but I don't understand the pixel
measurements which is 1188x1848 for that size. I either ended up with a tiny
photo or a large one. I have Canon software as well but again the pixels and
cm have me confused, not sure what the equivalent is and even if I did it
jumps back to what it wants. I would appreciate any advice and sorry to
sound so dumb.
Regards,
Cassie

In Irfanview, go to image Resize/Resample, choose inches and make
your change. The picture probably won't come out 6X4 because the
proportions are not correct on the original shot. If you uncheck
"Preserve aspect ratio", then you can force the size to whatever you
want, but there will be some distortion. The only other way to make
the aspect ratio correct would be to crop out part of the picture.

For that particular picture the distortion may not be too bad, give it
a try. Use Edit to undo the change if you don't like what you get, or
else make a copy of the original picture with a different name and
just work with the copy.

4X6 ration comes out to .666..., the 1184X1848 comes out to
0.642857143, so there isn't too much difference.

Any other software will have the same problem, the original picture
does not fit nicely into 4X6 format, but can be forced if you want it
to.